![]() |
| A Map of Walt Disney World |
Walt Disney World: It's History
On October 1st, 1971, the Walt Disney World Resort officially opened. It included the Magic Kingdom, a few hotels including Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Resort, and also Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.
Fun Facts about Walt Disney World:
- On October 1st, 1971, only approximately 10,000 people showed up for the opening of Walt Disney World, but now the park averages about 47,000 visitors a day.
- Walt Disney bought the 43 square miles of Central Florida swampland for Disney World for $5 million, or about $185 an acre.
- The Animal Kingdom features more than 3,000 species in its four million trees and plants.
- When Disney World opened, adult admission to the Magic Kingdom cost $3.50. Today it costs $85.
![]() |
Grand Opening of Walt Disney World on October 1st, 1971
|
The Man Behind the Mouse
![]() |
| Walt Disney |
Walt Disney was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1901, and he developed an early interest in drawing.
He took art classes as a boy and got a job as a commercial illustrator at the age of 18. He moved to California in the early 1920's and set up the Disney Brothers Studio with his brother Roy.
Disney was a shy, self-deprecating and insecure man in private, but adopted a warm and outgoing public persona.
In 1923, Walt Disney moved to Hollywood. Although New York was the center of the cartoon industry, he was attracted to Los Angeles because his brother Roy was recovering from tuberculosis there.
As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars out of 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Sadly, Walt Disney died on December 15th, 1966, which was 5 years before the opening of Walt Disney World. In honour of him, the Walt Disney Company made Disney World a tribute to Walt Disney himself, having a statue of him and Mickey Mouse holding hands, right outside Cinderella's castle.
"First, think. Second, dream. Third, believe. And finally, dare."
- Walt Disney



First of all Amanda I love the background picture for your blog. It makes sense and is an iconic image that lets people know instantly what it is your blog is about. Your blog is also extremely well-organized and that makes it an easy read. That being said I do think that changing the colour of the font might be a good idea as the light grey can at times be a little difficult to make out. Did your source tell you which of Walt Disney's films were in the Library of Congress? If they did what were they because that's something I didn't know and it would be entertaining to find out.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. I will be sure to change the colour of the text to make it easier to read. As for the films in the Library of Congress, some of the Disney films in there are Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, as well as Fantasia, The Lion King, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, and many more.
DeleteWow, I learned a lot from your blog. you can go camping at Disney world? That is so cool! I am supper excited to read more of your blog. I love the history behind Disney you talked about and all the photos including the background. I would recommend adding links to the resorts so your audience can see them or photos of you in Disney. overall super excited to read more.
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to read my blog. I was surprised too, to learn that you can camp in Disney World. I will try to find links that tell you more about the resorts in my next post.
DeleteI think this blog was really well done, the use of pictures are helpful as well as the formate and writing. I think this blog has a lot of valuable information but I'm curious to see what your plan is for blog #2. Maybe think about adding in some personal experiences you have encountered(if you've been there) I'd love to hear more about what you think. My question for you is do you really enjoy the Disney world experience and what feeling to do you towards this "magic adventure"? Good work again.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you taking the time to comment on my blog. I do have a plan as to what I will blog on next, and everyone will have to wait and see :) . I would like to add some of my personal experiences, I just have to download the pictures onto my computer. I absolutely love the Disney World experience. I would go there every couple of years if I was able, and if it was not so expensive, but I will also post some tips and tricks to save money at Disney World.
Delete